The Widener Building

Location: Philadelphia, PA
Architect: Francis Cauffman

The 18-story Widener Building, designed in 1914 by Horace Trumbauer, is one of Philadelphia’s architectural treasures which was brutally “modernized” in the early 1960s. O’Donnell & Naccarato providing structural engineering services helping to bring back its lost splendor while installing state-of-the art amenities, services and systems, including a new basement parking garage. The Chestnut Street facade, destroyed in the modernization, was recreated. Of special interest is the 3-story high arcade running through the building from Chestnut Street to South Penn Square. Hidden for 25 years, it was restored as the centerpiece of the building.