Nugent Senior Apartments

Location: Philadelphia, PA
Architect: JKR Partners
Developer: Nolen Properties

The Nugent Building was originally constructed in 1896 as a home for the Baptist Church clergy. Vacant since 2002, the grand, Chateauesque building was saved from demolition when concerned residents of the Mount Airy neighborhood intervened to list the structure on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places. O’Donnell & Naccarato provided structural engineering design services for major renovations to the existing structure, as well as a new 4-story, 28,000 SF addition, which connects via glass encased pedestrian bridges located at each floor. The revitalized facility provides 62 units of affordable senior housing in the restored mansion and modern addition.

O’Donnell & Naccarato’s role included: design of reinforcement to the existing monumental stair; restoration and new design for the front porch, porch enclosures, and roof; structural condition review of the existing wood floor framing; infills for existing stair and elevator openings; and an opening for a new stair between the second and third floors.