Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary's Ryan Memorial Library

Location: Wynnewood, PA
Architect: WRT

Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary was founded in 1832, and continues to this day to draw students from around the world. The 2-story library and gymnasium building was constructed in 1911 in the Neo-Italian Renaissance style, and houses the seminary's vast rare book, fine arts and general circulation collections, which include several volumes dating back to the fifteenth century. O'Donnell & Naccarato provided structural engineering services for the complete restoration and renovation of the upper level library, and conversion of the lower level gymnasium into additional library, reading room, and classroom space. The functionality of the facility was reconfigured to increase the capacity of the collection by 100,000 volumes, improve the overall layout of the space, and preserve the library's historical architectural details. During renovation, the nearly 200-year-old structure was updated to meet all current codes.